You may need letters from the college for different reasons. The most common ones are:
Confirmation of Enrolment
Confirmation of Co-op Work Experience
- Confirms your program has a practicum or work experience.
- You'll need it to apply for a Co-op Work Permit.
- You can request this letter from your department or program contact:
Chiu School of Business
Email our Student Engagement Officer
School of Health and Wellness
School of Community Studies
Confirmation of Academic Break
Academic break is not available to all programs. Certain programs run consecutively without a break. If you're looking to take a break please come to the international department and book an appointment with an international learner advisor who can confirm that the requested break meets immigration requirements.*
Confirmation of Completion Letter
Confirms you've completed a full-time program of 1 or 2 years at Bow Valley College. You can submit this letter for your Post-Graduate Work Permit application.
- You have studied full-time and continuously throughout your program. Exceptions: a regular academic break and the last semester of classes. If you transfer credits, make sure you maintain full-time enrolment.*
- Most of the courses you're enrolled in every term are in-class delivery.*
- If you're in a certificate program: You've completed at least 8 months of study at Bow Valley College. *
- If you're in a diploma program: You've completed at least 16 months of study at Bow Valley College. *
- The International Education Department will submit the request to the Registrar's Office. The process can take 6 to 8 weeks after the end of your last term.
- You'll receive your letter by mail along with the official final documentation. Your mailing address is the one you entered in your MyBVC.ca student portal. Make sure your contact information is up to date.
* Please note: Eligibility is based on continuous enrolment in your program. After the regular academic break, you must maintain your full-time studies. If you don't, you'll be violating the terms of your study permit.
Invitation to Graduation
If your convocation guests would like to attend your graduation ceremony, they will need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa. Bow Valley College does not provide letters of invitation; you must write the letter of invitation yourself.
The following are guidelines taken from the CIC website. For more information, please visit the IRCC web page here
Some visa offices may require that your letter be notarized by a Notary Public. Please note that a letter of invitation does not guarantee that a visa will be issued.
The officer reviewing your guests’ application for their visitor visa will likely want to confirm that the information you have provided in your Letter of Invitation is accurate. Therefore, you may want to provide the following documents in support of your Letter of Invitation:
- Proof of Bow Valley College convocation taking place: Include the website link and a printout of Bow Valley College upcoming convocation ceremony date(s) from this web page
- Copy of your passport and your study permit
- An official transcript
- Gaspard confirmation email (rental fee receipt for regalia)
- Email confirming your application to graduate was accepted
Please note, we recommend that you print out the whole FAQ page regarding Convocation. Doing so will provide the date and times, as well as offer the immigration officers a comprehensive sense of the process.