- January 13, 2022
- May 05, 2022
This blended ACE TESOL Certificate program includes asynchronous learning modules and synchronous classes. It will provide you with valuable, practical, hands-on experience. You'll apply and develop the teaching techniques taught in the course work through teaching demonstrations, extensive feedback and a supervised practicum within the ELL Department at Bow Valley College. This program will prepare you for a career teaching English to speakers of other languages abroad or right here in Calgary.
The ACE TESOL Certificate Program is recognized by TESL Canada and can lead to the Standard One certification.
TELL9101 - ACE TESOL Certificate: Instruction
- 100 hours
- Tuesday and Thursday, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00 to 12:00
- Note* There will be certain dates in the course when you will be required to start at 5:30. A schedule will be provided on the first day of term
- Class observations: In the second and third week of term, you will be required to observe three 2-hour ESL classes outside of your regular class time. These observations may occur during the day.
- pre-requisite for TELL9999 and TELL9998
TELL9999 - ACE TESOL Certificate: Observation and Teaching
- 20 hours
- Schedule varies based on placement and may include daytime assignments.
TELL9998 - ACE TESOL Certificate: Observation and Teaching Assistance
- 10 hours
- Schedule varies based on placement and may include daytime assignments
Winter 2022 (Application Deadline December 13th, 2021)
- Orientation and Coursework: January 13th, 2022 to March 12th, 2022
- Practicum: March 14th, 2022 to April 8th, 2022
Spring 2022 (Application Deadline April 18th, 2022)
- Orientation and Coursework: May 5th, 2022 to June 30th, 2022
- Practicum: July 4th, 2022 to August 5th, 2022
- Course fee: $2,450 (plus tax)
- Recommended Course textbook : Easy Advanced Grammar
- Once you complete the coursework you'll be placed in either a 10-hour or 20-hour practicum. This is determined by your coursework results.
- Enrollment will remain open until the class is full or until the application deadline whichever comes first.
- For information on an upcoming Information session please click here: ACE TESOL Information
Applicants should have a university degree. The program will accept applicants without a university degree, however these applicants will not receive TESL Canada certification until completing a university degree.
Applicants must prove their English language skills through one of the following:
- iBT: Overall 101 with at least 23 in listening, 24 in reading, 27 in speaking, and 27 in writing
- IELTS Academic: 7 overall with score of 7 in each skill area
- Graduation from a Canadian high school, including a 70% in Grade 12 English.
- An undergraduate degree from a university where English is the language of instruction and administration (see: TESL Canada Standards)
All applications with university degrees completed outside of Canada must provide a Canadian equivalency assessment of their university degree(s) as part of their application. Please refer to Wes (www.wes.org/ca) or IQAS (https://www.alberta.ca/iqas-employment-education-licensure.aspx), in some cases you will also need to provide proof of language proficiency, please refer to : https://www.tesl.ca/certification/tesl-canada-professional-certification/english-language-proficiency-scores.html. Countries not listed here will require the language proficiency.
We encourage you to take the IELTS exam. Please visit ielts.org to find an IELTS test centre near you.
As this is a Part-Time program, you can apply for a study permit, however part-time programs do not have a high likelihood of approval. In addition, please note that this program is not post-graduate work permit eligible.
No, Bow Valley College can only provide practicums for students who are registered in our ACE TESOL program.