Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

The Government of Canada announced changes for international students and Canadian post-secondary institutions. The changes include:

  • A cap on the number of study permits for 2024 and 2025. Each province will receive a specific cap.
  • A new provincially issued Attestation letter will be required to accompany your initial study permit application to the IRCC.
  • Spouses of new undergraduate international students will no longer be eligible for spousal open work permits.

Will these changes affect current students?

The caps will not impact current study permit holders or study permit renewals (extensions). Spouses of current students are not affected by the change spousal open work permits.

Will Post-Graduate Work Permits (PGWP) be available for international students at Bow Valley College?

Bow Valley College students will still be eligible for a PGWP. Bow Valley College certificates and post diploma certificates are eligible for 1-year PGWP and diplomas and advanced diplomas are eligible for 3-year PGWP.

What changes in Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) programs will impact students at Bow Valley College?

These changes will not impact Bow Valley College because it is a public institution and does not operate any PPP programs.

What is an attestation letter?

An attestation letter is a supporting document from the province or territory where the student plans to study. The Government of Alberta is developing a process for applicants to get an attestation letter. These processes must be in place by March 31, 2024. IRCC will return any application received on or after January 22, 2024, without an attestation letter. For more information, visit: Study permit: Get the right documents -

Do I need an attestation letter with my application?

Applications submitted before January 22, 2024, will not need an attestation letter.

Any applications submitted on or after January 22 will need to have an attestation letter included. Bow Valley College will issue attestation letters to applicants as soon as the process is determined, and letters are made available to us by the Government of Alberta.

Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses


  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Additional Fees Apply
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy